Works in Progress


FINISHED OBJECTS: *Fair Isle Wristlet *Sara-Grace's Shortie Socks *Collin's Socks *Sunshine Squared Sweater *Gramps

WORKS IN PROGRESS:*Bridgewater Shawl *Eidelon *Blue Shortie Socks *Resonation Shawl

Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Year of Socks

The sweater I am currently knitting is a departure for me. I am an avid sock knitter. Last August, I decided to join the hundreds of sock knitters who had started their own Self-Imposed Sock Club. The goal was to knit a pair of socks for each month of the year. Since I began in August, my year would end July 31, 2011. I finished my July socks on July 18th. 
Each month I chose a sock pattern and an appropriate yarn. The goal was to finish both socks before the end of that month. By finished, I mean knitting done, ends woven in and socks blocked.  To some knitters this might not seem like much of a challenge, but in August of 2010, I had never made a sock before. I was a newbie. Wasn’t sure even where to start.  
I mentioned this at my investment club meeting and the two knitters immediately sent me off to investigate Ravelry. One of the members mentioned a great pattern for a beginning sock knitter - the Lifestyle Toe Up Socks - No Swatch Needed by Charisa Martin Cairn.  Thanks, Mary and Lisa. 
Ravelry is a great resource for knitters and the Lifestyle Toe Up sock pattern is wonderful for beginners.  Thus, began my Year of Sock Knitting.......

August Socks - my first pair

September Socks
Self-patterning

 October Socks
Frankensocks

November Socks
Autumn Colors

December Socks
Christmas

January Socks
Almond Nutkins

February Socks
Red Heart House Socks

March Socks
Water Avens

April Socks
April Flowers

May Socks
Rosebud Trellis
(First Kathom Design)

June Socks
Farmland Socks

July Socks
Comfort Turkish Bed Socks
(Yes, there are two!)

Thus, begins my lifetime of Sock Knitting.......

No comments:

Post a Comment